Friday, December 22, 2017

Developing the Math Program: Students are the Best Teachers

As I continue to look for ways to develop the math program, I will seek the consultation of the best teachers--the students.

I will begin the new year with taking a close look at students' reflections about unit three. What worked? What didn't? How could the unit of teaching gone better?

I'll also meet with individual students a lot to look closely at their learning. What do they need? How can I help them?

I also want to look for ways to work more closely with family members. What can I do to help parents, and how can parents help me and their children when it comes to math success?

And I want to work with the teaching team too. How can we close the opportunity and skill/concept/knowledge gap we see with our most struggling math students? What more can we do to build stronger math teaching/learning relationships, learning experiences, skill development, and overall success? I want to hear what my colleagues have to say about this.

And I'll continue to learn about this topic. Hopefully our request to have a 15-PDP (professional development points) expert-led course of how to effectively teach students who display math learning disabilities will happen and that will help us to better assess and teach our most struggling math learners.

There's lots to do to increase our math teaching/learning capacity and I look forward to that work in the new year.