Monday, November 06, 2017

The Right Balance

An educator noted he was interested in the balance quotient with regard to teaching. That's a common question that educators think about no matter where they teach or how long they've been teaching. To find some balance, it's important to zero in on what's most important with regard to your job. Do the work that you are expected to do, the work that you prioritize most. This may mean that there are other tasks or endeavors that you simply take part in, but do not spend lots of time on the prep and planning for those activities.

As the school year turns a corner into a more predictable and established schedule and routine, I find myself focusing in on the priorities of math, science, community building and reading--the four main areas of my work with fifth graders and all areas that I enjoy learning about and teaching. There's a sense of balance related to highlighting these priorities, priorities I'm eager to meet.