Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Thinking Deeply About Students: Team Building

I watched the students carefully.

I noticed who needed more time and who finished quickly. I noticed who talks a lot and who is very quiet. I noticed who seemed patient and who seemed impatient. I noticed who asks questions and who doesn't.

As we moved from name word finds, to organization matters, to a tech project, and read aloud, I watched and listened carefully.

Today as we continue the projects introduced yesterday, I'll watch more, and as I watch I'll also coach important team skills including following directions, staying quiet at quiet times (in a small room with 25-28 people, it's sometimes critical to be quiet), asking questions when you don't understand or need support, and contribution.

If we can gain a number of common norms, protocols, attitudes, and behavior for our class learning/teaching team, we'll then be able to work together, learn, and teach with greater strength, skill, and result. Onward.