Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Students Speak

I asked students to write me a letter telling me about themselves and how to teach them. Their letters were bright, and mirrored the latest research about good teaching and learning. Many wrote about the desire for hands-on, problem-based, creative learning--they want to learn by doing. Others wrote about special interests and specific learning/teaching needs. To read each letter was to get a good idea about who my learners are, and what I can do to help them reach their goals and learn a lot.

Good teaching requires the quiet, unsung efforts to build a strong, positive relationship with every child. Building that relationship includes daily collaboration in learning endeavor and review/response to those efforts. This work also requires advocacy. Children also wrote with desire to learn in modern ways with modern tools. Some of those tools are not welcome yet in our school community, and it will take advocacy by me and other teachers to make those learning venues available as those paths are paths of future success.

As much as possible, we have to find ways to let students lead the learning and speak in classrooms. I'm very focused on that effort this year. Onward.