Saturday, September 09, 2017

Seize the Moment: Energy Surge

I look forward to energy surges--times when the conditions are right to do work that takes a lot of energy. So, even though I don't really want to do it, I'll use this burst to organize all the STEAM/Science supplies in the classroom.

If you read my blog, you know that this is a perennial issue since the STEAM center keeps evolving as new units of study, supplies, and projects are introduced. Also, what's energizing this momentum is that yesterday, the students were full of glee as they engaged in an early team building STEAM event, the notecard challenge. I have a zealous, creative crew, and to have the supplies organized and ready to use means that we'll be able to do more hands-on investigations and explorations.

What will the organization look like?

I have a wall of sturdy metal shelves that will host the materials.

On top, I'll place all the new FOSS kits which we'll be using throughout the year, and then on the bottom shelves, I'll place all the individual materials. I'll likely throw out a lot of old materials in a cabinet that I have, and place some of the more fragile items in there.

Once the job's complete, I'll be able to then solidify the STEAM projects to come. Our team has set aside good time for this each week once the initial team building and class organization is complete. Onward.