Thursday, September 21, 2017

Is Silence Safe?

Today I engaged in a school conversation on Facebook. It was clear that my ideas were not embraced by those I debated with. I honor those folks' ideas and perspective, but I also honor the experience and context where I teach and learn too. When it comes to teaching well, almost everyone has an opinion, and truly, there are lots of right answers depending on context. The best I can do is to continue to engage in these conversations to both question and inform my practice.

Many might not engage in discussions like this because they feel that their words will not be honored and their voice may not matter, but when we stay silent we don't grow as individuals or communities. Of course, too much noise gets in the way. Like all things, there's a good balance here.