Thursday, September 07, 2017

Computer Wars: Raising the White Flag of Defeat

For years, I've been advocating for more open use of technology to forward student learning. In that time, we've gained more hardware, but met more software restrictions.

Recently I was told that Khan Academy and SCRATCH are banned in our school system. The reason for this has to do with student data privacy which is a complex area of tech decision making and process in schools. I am very disappointed with this decision for many reasons. Mostly I am disappointed because Khan Academy and SCRATCH are platforms that have helped me to teach students in positive, modern ways. They are the kinds of "intelligent assistants" that Thomas L. Friedman discusses in his book about the future, Thank You for Being Late. Khan Academy and SCRATCH are also platforms that provide global connections and good ability to create, utilize and understand visual models related to learning in math and other disciplines.

I will follow the directive given and disband my use of those platforms with students. I will continue to use the platforms on my own when needed as I plan and prepare lessons. I am afraid that my students will not reach the same level of progress and knowledge, skill, concept attainment next year without these tools since the tools allowed students to navigate personal paths to mastery. This was especially helpful to students at the remediation and enrichment ends of the grade-level standard acquisition scale. For example, students who came to fifth grade already skilled at all fifth grade math concepts were able to broaden and deepen their math knowledge using Khan Academy in many ways. Others, in the past, who fell into this category were able to create amazing codes on SCRATCH to make games, radio stations, animations, and connections across the globe.

As of today, I'm raising the white flag in the computer war in my school system. I lost the war, and from now on will send all invitations to try new tech to the decision makers. I'll work within the acceptable tech parameters created by the decision makers, and focus my efforts and time in other teaching/learning areas at school. I'm sure those who have opposed my ideas, advocacy, and interest, are rising with cheer right now. Just think, they won't have to entertain my emails that share information, advocate for new tools, and forward ideas. They'll be free to choose as they will without my voice.

It's difficult to lose a war, and in many ways it has been a war--one that has brought me to tears and frustration time and time again since what I read and what I see don't match up. It's over now. I accept the defeat. I'm moving on.


Update: Note that scores did fall, and that educators more favored than me were able to use these platforms and their scores rose. Schools are too often political organizations where some get to do what they want and others don't. As many educators know, this can be very frustrating particularly when it appears that some decisions are made for reasons that don't relate to student success or happiness. Onward.