Saturday, September 09, 2017

Advocacy Tightrope

Advocacy always finds me on the tightrope. If I push too much, I'll be punished. If I don't push enough, children may miss out. It's a fine line.

Since I'm on the front line when it comes to teaching and learning, I see room for improvement all the time--improvement in my practice, improvement in protocols, improvement in service, and more.

Yet you can't improve all things, and you do have to prioritize. However, when improvement that can positively affect a child is staring you right in the face, what are you going to do? You have to advocate--it's the right thing to do.

I remember years ago, I met a similar challenge. A child was due important services. The service provider never showed up. To speak up meant I would meet harsh response, but to stay silent meant a child was not going to receive the services she deserved. I spoke up, and then I spoke up again and again. There was some positive change eventually, but it wasn't easy.

Many complain about schools. They say schools aren't as good as they can be. I take that criticism seriously, and recognize that if teachers, who are in the front line of teaching, are afraid to advocate for what they know is right and good, then of course, schools are not going to reach the potential that exists.

A friend of mine who works in a system other than mine is in a somewhat disastrous situation. The teachers in her school have almost no say, and the mandates make no sense. Her students have significant needs, and will experience hardship and be a burden on society if they don't get a positive, uplifting, and promising education, yet the teachers in her school have their hands tied--if they speak up, they are looked down upon. The children there miss out.

Teachers do have some knowledge. We work hard; we read; we research; we talk to each other; we go to conferences; and every day we're right there with the children noticing what works and what doesn't work. It's true we that none of us have all the answers or all the perspectives, but dedicated teachers do have significant understanding when it comes to the work they do, and the work they've invested their lives in.

I don't like walking the advocacy tightrope. I don't like having to advocate all the time for what is right and good for children. I don't like the pushback, the ridicule, teasing, and the negativity that is often the response to advocacy, but what I don't like worse than that is to see lost potential when I know that the right tools, setting, supports, and services can dramatically and positively influence the life of a child at school and well into his/her future.

I'll continue to learn more about advocacy. I'll continue to work to hone my advocacy skills. And I'll continue to work towards teaching children well. Onward.