Friday, April 28, 2017

North Korea and the Berlin Wall

As I think of North Korea, I think of the Berlin Wall--a wall that divided a country for years.

Is there any way that we can use diplomacy rather than force or threats to work with North Korea and promote development of better global partnerships?

Is there any chance that we can come together with that isolated country to work for peaceful relations that focus on what people need to gain "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?"

How can we justly avoid a show of force and use diplomacy instead?

Like most people, I dread the idea of force and lost lives from any country or place--I am a fan of as much peaceful collaboration, debate, and decision making as possible. I'd like to see us as a global community decide that our biggest battle is the battle of injustice, and work together to fight that battle with peaceful means--means that challenge us to rise above ways of old that use force and destruction.

I would love to be able to look ahead to a North Korea that is a global partner with many countries in the world and a country whose borders are open and free for coming and going between North and South Korea and elsewhere.

I know there is a long history and lots of pain associated with this conflict, but I hope that someday that will be in the past, and a bright future for the country as one among many peaceful and collaborative countries exist.