Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Direction: Freedom and Happiness

In light of recent events, I'll move towards freedom.

ECET2-MA2016 was a move towards freedom as the event brought earnest, dedicated educators together and elevated and celebrated what we can do for children.

Reading, research, creating, writing, and collaborating are all freeing activities--activities that serve to better what we can do individually and collectively.

Too tight, managed protocols may limit freedom, but might be necessary. I will complete those as necessary, but not choose those when I have choice. Instead I'll choose avenues towards greater freedom, understanding, working together, and learning.

How does this impact my path?

Scope and Sequence
I will follow this as I have been told to do this. I want to keep my job and I will not be insubordinate, so I will follow the plan as directed.

Professional Learning
I will respectfully take part in mandated professional learning. I will also continue to choose wonderful professional learning events that inspire my teaching craft and potential.

Collaboration
I will seek to work with collaborative groups that help all of us do a better job and serve children well. Currently those groups include my specific and broad grade-level teams, local union work, DESE's Teacher Advisory Cabinet, MTA's Professional Learning Committee, ECET2 activity, SEL Research Project, and affiliations with curriculum groups and associations.

Healthy, Joyful Activity
I always say it, but I don't always do it but "All work and no play makes dull teachers," so I'll look to build up the joy and healthy activity in my life.

Community
I'll seek ways to contribute and build community at home and at school. Every day I teach with a wonderful group of students and colleagues, so I'll work with them to empower what we can do together to teach and learn well.

I want to be a positive member of the learning/teaching community. The "shackles" I feel are there, but I will work to remove those through greater direction towards freedom and happiness. Onward.