Tuesday, April 28, 2015

If It's Tough, Why Do You Stay?

Recently a colleague and I discussed a challenge.

The colleague asked me why I remain with that challenge.

I responded that I stayed with the challenge because I know it's a necessary mountain to climb in order to reach a destination I desire.

The colleague looked at me quizzically thinking why do you bring that pain upon yourself. I left the conversation wanting to think more about the colleague's challenging looks and questioning.

I found myself looking up quotes about challenge.

Two, in particular, spoke to me:

"To be a champion, I think you have to see the big picture. It's not about winning and losing; it's about every day hard work and about thriving on a challenge. It's about embracing the pain that you'll experience at the end of a race and not being afraid. I think people think too hard and get afraid of a certain challenge." - Summer Sanderson

"Some days, 24 hours is too much to stay put in, so I take the day hour by hour, moment by moment. I break the task, the challenge, the fear into small, bite-size pieces. I can handle a piece o fear, depression, anger, pain, sadness, loneliness, illness. I actually put my hands up to my face, one next to each eye, like blinders on a horse." - Regina Brett

My friend and colleague's honest, questioning response made me realize that it's time to map the course forward with greater detail so I awoke early this morning to complete that task. Onward.