Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Parent-Student Tech Mornings

At elementary school, our best allies when it comes to tech infusion are our students' parents.  Often, it's the case, that parents are unfamiliar with the tech language, systems and venues we use at school.  Hence, it's a good idea to host a number of informal student-parent tech workshops.

Today, I hosted the first workshop for 2011-2012.  I opened the classroom up from 7:30-8:30 a.m. prior to school.  I stipulated that adult family members must attend with a child.  Children were their family members' teachers.  I walked around and consulted.

I put a menu up on the white board to guide student-family member teams.  Only a few families were represented today, but each family was able to access and learn about new venues related to classroom learning.  I'll host the next tech morning in October.

Do you host family member-student tech workshops?  If so, how do they differ from this one.  Do you have ideas to share.

Today's event helped to foster our team focus this year: parents-students-teachers working together to foster optimal learning endeavors.